Sunday, December 16, 2012

Because I Can

I just sat with my little boy and nursed him to sleep. Then I held him. Sang to him. Whispered my hopes and my dreams for him into his tiny ear. Things like, "I hope you know your dreams and have the strength to follow them.", "I hope you always know and give love.", and "I hope I am here to share this wonderful adventure of life with you for a very long time."

And now, "I hope that you always enjoy safety at school."

Or more clearly said, "I hope I never send you to school and instead of learning or building friendships or making gingerbread houses, you are shot and killed."

And, "I hope I never send you to school and you watch your best friend die."

This is not about gun control. This is not about universal health care services and availability. This is not about stopping the gap as it widens between those that Have and those that Have Not. This is not about getting to know the people we live next to. This is not about limiting video games and movies that are violent just to be violent.

This is about massacre prevention. This is about the too-many-to-count people who have died in vain, in places like schools, movie theaters, restuarants, malls, places of worship across the United States of America. This is about not allowing these children to have died in vain. Look at those ages.

Daniel Barden, 7
Olivia Engel, 6
Josephine Gay, 7
Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 6
Dylan Hockley, 6
Madeleine F. Hsu, 6
Catherine V. Hubbard, 6
Chase Kowalski, 7
Jesse Lewis, 6
James Mattioli, 6
Grace McDonnell, 7
Emilie Parker, 6
Jack Pinto, 6
Noah Pozner, 6
Caroline Previdi, 6
Jessica Rekos, 6
Avielle Richman, 6
Benjamin Wheeler, 6
Allison N. Wyatt, 6
Mary Sherlach, 56
Victoria Soto, 27
Anne Marie Murphy, 52
Lauren Rousseau, 30
Dawn Hochsprung, 47
Rachel Davino, 29
 
Look at those ages. Twice.
 
And before you continue reading, take a moment and look at their faces. Look at their faces

Those children should be getting rocked by their parents.They should be getting held. They should be getting sang to. They should be listening to hopes and dreams as they enter their little ears.
 

And their parents. Their parents should be rocking their children. Holding their children. Singing to their children. Whispering their hopes and dreams into their childrens' little ears.

But they aren't. And they never will. Ever again.

That is not just 'not okay', that is wrong. It is time to have an open discourse about what is obviously, fundamentally wrong with modern American society. It is time to grieve, to pray, and to change.

Before I laid PJ down onto his bed, I closed my eyes and I prayed. I prayed for those children that will never be rocked, held, sang or whispered to ever again. I prayed for those parents that will never rock, hold, sing, or whisper to their children again. I prayed for the teachers. Those heros.

And then I prayed for real change. Like child abuse, this is a mountain I am willing to bleed on, die on. Because I'm tired of watching my society pretend what is going on isn't more than a series of 'mental ill' individuals doing something that is 'not okay'.


xo

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...